IF YOU WANT TO BULK UP BUT YOU'RE FINDING IT HARD, HERE'S WHY...
1. YOU'RE NOT FOLLOWING A SPECIFIC PROGRAMME
- Find a decent hypertrophy programme and follow it. Check out either bodybuilding.com or t-nation.com - they have a wealth of programmes to choice from.
- Log your weights. Knowing your numbers is a game changer - week in week out you'll need to lift the same or heavier if you want to see results.
- Use a timer for your rest periods in between sets. Be strict.
- Get your tempo spot on. Time under tension is crucial if you want results. Follow the tempo outlined in your programme and control the weight, don't let the weight control you.
2. YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH (AND YOUR INTAKE OF CARBOHYDRATES IS TOO LOW)
- If you want to grow you need to eat, a lot. You need to be eating way more calories that you're burning.
- Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats are all essential. Protein is the obvious one - but you wont build muscle without a decent amount of carbohydrates and fats either. Carbs will provide the energy needed to help your muscle to grow, and calorie dense fats like olive oil, nuts and avocado will help you eat more than the energy you consume.
- Directly after a workout spike your insulin with a decent amount of all three. Starchy carbs like a baked potato's or a couple of cups of rice along with a large chicken breast or salmon fillet will do the trick. Chuck in a healthy splash of olive oil or a couple of spoons of nut butter and you're sorted.
3. YOU'RE NOT RECOVERING.....REST REST REST.
This the most important part of the jigsaw to bulking. If you're doing all the above, but without decent recover, then kiss goodbye to growth.
- Sleeping allows your muscles to recover
- Sleeping is when your 'Growth Hormone' levels are at their highest.
- Sleeping helps you replenish energy stores
- Sleeping helps you recharge your brain. A rested brain ensures you'll be focused the next time you train.
It's simple, when you sleep well you recover, repair and rebuild.